Innokin is one of the most respected manufacturers in the business, placing a heavy focus on safety, and the Proton, whether in kit form or purchased separately, is a fine example. In terms of usage and performance, it’s one of their standout releases, offering an excellent user interface.
Overview - Suitability
The Proton Mod is a TC (temperature control) dual 18650 battery device capable of handling 235 watts, with the Scion coils resistance range of 0.05 – 3.5 ohms. The device has a large screen, a somewhat unique intuitive menu system, and performs extremely well; obviously, that’s always based on what’s sitting on top.
Although the included Scion 2 tank offers great performance, for some, the minimum recommended wattage of 50 or so, may well be too much. These type of coils and at a higher wattage range, often produce massive amounts of vapour, although this can be controlled to some extent.
As with all Mod Kits, one can purchase an additional tank that is better suited to one’s taste -no pun intended. Perhaps one that offers coils that run comfortably at 20-40 watts, a happy place for myself and many.
In terms of suitability, I will recommend this to anyone wanting a fairly advanced type of device, albeit that it’s relatively simple to learn and use. Having said that, it’s certainly not geared toward the elderly, those with arthritic like issues, and or those wanting a single push-button experience.
Features & Specs – Proton Mod
- Dimensions: 3-5/16″ x 1-5/8″ x 1-1/8″ (Without Tank)
- 510 Threaded with Stainless Steel Threads
- Wattage Range: 6.0 – 235.0W
- Variable Temperature Control : Nickel 200 / Titanium / Stainless Steel 316 / TCR
- Temperature Control Range: 300 – 600F / 150 – 315C
- Resistance Range: 0.05 – 3.5ohm
- Preheat Function
- Joystick Control
- 1.45″ TFT Color Display Screen
- Six Different Color Display Themes
- Hidden Side Fire Button
- Front Micro USB Charging Port
- Firmware Upgradeable
- Dual Circuit Protection
- Reverse Polarity Protection
- Low Resistance Protection
Please note – Requires (2) High Amp 18650 Batteries. Temperature control requires the use of nickel, titanium or stainless coils.
Features & Specs Scion 2 Tank
- Dimensions: 2-1/8″ x 15/16″ (Including Drip Tip and Threads)
- Diameter: 24mm
- 510 Threaded
- 3.5ml e-Liquid Capacity (5.0ml with Replacement Glass Tube)
- Retractable Top Fill Design
- Improved Airflow Design and Aesthetics
- Drip Tip is Now Removable
- Glass Tank
- Stainless Steel Construction
- Dual Airflow Slots
- Adjustable Precision Airflow Control Valve
- Includes Spare Wide Bore Delrin Drip Tip
- Utilizes Innokin Scion Kanthal Atomizer Heads for Variable Wattage
- Includes (1) Scion Kanthal Quadruple BVC (Bottom Vertical Coil) 0.36ohm Atomizer Head (Pre-installed) (Designed for 80 – 150W)
- Includes (1) Scion Kanthal Plexus Mesh Coil 0.15ohm Atomizer Head (Designed for 60 – 110W)
- 1 x Innokin Proton Mod
- 1 x Innokin Scion 2 Tank
- 1 x Scion Kanthal Quadruple BVC 0.36ohm Atomizer Head (Pre-installed)
- 1 x Scion Kanthal Plexus Mesh Coil 0.15ohm Atomizer Head
- 1 x 5.0ml Replacement Glass Tube
- 1 x Set of Spare O-Rings
- 1 x Micro USB Cable
- Excellent Performance
- Good buid quality
- Not overly large for 2 battery mods
- Long battery life
- Intuitive Menu
- Joystick Controller
- Device is larger and heavier for some
- TC doesn’t work well in SS316 mode
- Screen is hard to read in bright sunlight
Proton Kit & Coil Costs (Average)
Innokin Proton Kit – $95-110
Replacement Coils – $4 each – Coils compatible with Scion, Scion 2 and Plexus tank.
I recommend using Samsung 25R high drain batteries
I used this daily for a couple of months before trading it for a repair job on our car. I do plan on replacing it though as it’s a great device, although I often used an alternate tank for lower ohm purposes; my sweet spot is around 25 to 35 watts.
Although the Proton has some unique features such as the joystick, overall performance and satisfaction on any mod is largely based on the coils. Obviously, I could use any number of mods that max out at much lower power, but I wanted a more unique two battery mod and this one fit the bill nicely.