Overview – Suitability
Updated September 2017
The SmartBox kit comprises of the main Battery / Mod unit and the iSub V Tank. It’s a sort of fusion between a Starter e Cig and a Mod. The device is unique in that it automatically adjusts power levels to match whatever Coil – Tank is attached.
Like many Starter e Cigs, there is no menu system to deal with, and it houses just a single fire button. One of the main advantages of the SmartBox is the ability to use alternate Tanks, such as the beloved Nautilus. Another biggie is being able to use replaceable – rechargeable batteries.
Due to its flexibility, it may be suitable for more experienced vapers too, especially as a ‘Date Vape’, or when used in a rotation with other Mods. However, there is one major flaw with this device.
Feature -Specs for Smartbox device:
- Dimensions: 70mm L x 41mm W x 22mm D (Without Tank)
- 510 Threaded
- Automatic Intelligent Wattage Control
- Maximum Wattage: 45W
- Minimum Resistance: 0.4ohm
- Simple One Button Operation
- Requires (1) High Amp 18650 Battery (Sold Separately)
- USB Charge Port
- Battery Cap Cover
- Three Color Battery Indicator Light
- Innokin AETHON Chipset
- Maximum Output Current: 10A
- Maximum Output Voltage: 4.2V
- Reverse Polarity Protection
- Low Voltage Warning
- Short Circuit Atomizer Protection
Feature – Specs for iSub V Tank:
- Dimensions: 50mm L x 22mm D (Including Drip Tip and Threads)
- Quick & Clean Top-Fill
- 2.0ml e-Liquid Capacity
- 100% Stainless Steel Construction
- Fully Adjustable Airflow
- Removable Delrin Drip Tip
- Glass Tank
- No Spill Coil Swap System
- Includes (3) iSub Kanthal Atomizer Heads for Variable Wattage
- iSub Coils Compatible
- 1 x Innokin SmartBox Device
- 1 x iSub-V Tank
- 1 x iSub Kanthal 0.5ohm Atomizer Head (Pre-Installed)
- 1 x iSub Kanthal 0.5ohm Atomizer Head
- 1 x iSub Kanthal 1.2ohm Atomizer Head
- 1 x Set of O-Rings
- 1 x Extra Flat Drip Tip
- 1 x Innokin Tank Band
Good build quality. Compatible with other 510 styled tanks which is a huge plus. The ability to use 18650 batteries is always welcoming.
- The major flaw is that the unit gets very warm with a number of tanks I’ve used. It may take a few minutes but it does occur.
- The bottom battery cap and mod threading is machined poorly. At times it takes a couple of attempts to screw it in correctly. Annoying but not a deal breaker.
- The automatic settings that adjust wattage may be finicky on some other tanks, but I’ve never experienced any issues.
- Last but not least, the iSub V Tank does not work on my Joyetech eVic VTwo Mini Mod. (Nor does the Slipstream tank)
Price & Availability
The average price is around $40. replacement coils are around $15 for a pack of 5. Both the kit and our recommended LGHE4 batteries are available from VapeKing in Sydney.
The Bottom Line
Due to the devices main flaw, whilst still viable as a stealth or emergency back-up mod, I’d be cautious of buying one online. I have managed to test another SmartBox and there were no issues at all, so I suspect mine has suffered from quality control issues. If you wish to purchase one, I’d recommend testing it in a store first.
From The Table
It’s all about the juice..