Nicotine Replacement Therapy

nicotine replacement therapy vs vaping

Today’s Statistics-how effective are they?

Smoking causes approximately 6 million deaths per year, and for every person who dies, at least 30 others live with a serious smoking-related illness. Today, there are nearly 1 billion smokers worldwide and it’s predicted to rise not decrease; it will primarily stem from third world nations.

With so many replacement therapy options available, one may wonder why the number of smokers remains so high. The bottom line is this – Traditional methods of NRT’s, as you will see below, return fairly poor results.

Statistics can be misleading and a little complex. There are many variables that come into play, such as the duration of treatment, whether or not the treatment has been maintained, abandoned for a period, or when and if a second attempt has been made. In addition, support is generally sought and therefore taken into account. For the sake of brevity, I’ve averaged out the stats and have endeavoured to reflect an accurate representation.

So let’s look at these common methods and how successful they are based on percentages.

Nicotine Patches 8%

Perhaps the most recognised and widely used method of NRT’s. Patches have been on the market since the early 90’s and despite their popularity, long-term success rates are fairly low. Patches return about a 2% improvement over cold turkey.
Although severe reactions are rare, some have reported mild to moderate adverse effects. These include nausea, insomnia and headaches.

Nicotine Gums 8%

Although gums have been around for some time, their rate of success is minimal; on par with that of patches. Some users, although statistically low, have reported mouth ulcers, nausea, dizziness and headaches.

Nicotine Inhalators or Inhalers 8%

These are a more recent development, but concerns regarding certain ingredients are many. Here’s an example – Trometamol and Hydrochloric acid. I’ve read reports suggesting cancer causing carcinogens are common, and prolonged use may cause a number of complications. Quite frankly, from what I’ve read and heard, I’m surprised this is even available to consumers. Okay, I’m not really surprised.

As you can see, NRT’s do little in assisting the masses. Given that we could round off the averages to 10%, what of the other 90%? This is where Tobacco Harm Reduction comes into play, and the numbers in contrast to NRT’s are quite staggering.

Tobacco Harm Reduction (up to 60% greater than NRT’s)

It’s ironic let alone illogical, that here in Australia, the two most successful methods of quitting smoking are over regulated or banned. I am pro vaping and pro Snus, as I’m also pragmatic, besides, numbers don’t lie. 

Why is Vaping so Successful?

It’s really quite simple. It mirrors the smoking experience by providing a means to inhale flavoured nicotine, and offering the same hand to mouth fixation. This is something that NRT’s cannot do.

Some Facts:

  • Smoking Kills or significantly reduces one’s health.
  • NRT’s rarely work, and Vaping has been proven to be at least 95 % safer than cigarettes.
  • Statistics now show that around 70% who are unable to quit using traditional NRT’s, and pursue vaping with proper guidance and or support, will quit or substantially reduce their frequency of smoking.

So, with all due respect to the Australian Government, the TGA and the Department of health, please revisit your research and therefore your regulatory policies. The status quo, and the unintended consequences, are killing 15,000 Australians each year. 

Charles Yates

AKA Charles Vaper. Ex-smoker, current vaper and THR advocate. I started The Vapers Table in 2011 to offer information and support for smokers looking to transition to vaping. My interests are- Helping smokers quit, food, cooking, flavours, music, orchestral composing-studio recording & technology, travel & country road trips.